Monday, November 05, 2007

A Woman on the Spanish Steps in Rome.

A very poor woman. My daughter said of this painting, that woman must have a story. I asked my daughter what she thought the story would be. In my painting class during critique, my classmates and professor agreed that there was no story, no mystery - the story is all told with the destitute nature of the woman in the painting. My daughter did not agree. Molly decided one could make up a story about what happen to get the woman to the point where she felt she had to beg, as the woman is doing. Then Molly told me she thought the painting told a story about where the woman would go if someone gave her money.

I guess this could be an illustration and not a painting that stands on its own. For me, it is a record of what I saw and felt and experienced on that day at that time in Rome Italy. Nothing more. Except now, I have the vision expressed in watercolor paint.

This painting is for sale. 11x14 on 140 lb. watercolor cold press. Will come matted in a neutral mat. Email me if you are interested.

No comments: