Saturday, October 20, 2007

Elizabeth Barbara Clark was my friend.

When someone dies it is so sad. When someone whom you have been close to for more than half your life passes, some part of you goes too. That is how I feel right now...my husband's mom died on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 at 8:40pm est.

My mother-in-law was not your typical mother-in-law for me. I knew her since I was 11 years old. She was my best friend's mom and became one of my best friends. She was the woman I most admired in my life. She was my mentor. She was the person to whom I went with questions about raising children. She was the person who had knowledge of and skills in painting, quilting, cooking and life. We could talk about just anything. When I was sad I could call her and she would always have a careful bit of advice. She always knew just what to say to make things feel right. She knew when to correct and when to encourage.

Right now, I can not imagine life without her. I have thought about this for a long time, as her illness took its toll on her life and ability to function independently for quite some time. But now, reality facing me, I find it difficult to paint. To think. To act on anything other than what is absolutely necessary.

I will breath for a while. I will come back to painting in a few days.

Thanks for looking in.

No comments: